Online BA in Economics
Our fully online bachelor’s degree in Economics provides students with an understanding of economic problems and institutions, and with the analytical tools to apply this knowledge to contemporary problems. The program is designed for students who desire a career in business, government, international agencies or multinational corporations; and for those planning graduate study in economics, business, law, public administration, urban studies or international relations.
Requirements for the Online B.A. in Economics
1. Lower Division Preparation (12 credit hours)
To qualify for admission to the B.A. program, FIU undergraduates must have met all the lower division requirements, completed 60 semester hours and have at least a 2.0 GPA.
You must take the following four courses as part of your lower division preparation:
- ECO 2013 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECO 2023 Principles of Microeconomics
- MAC 2311 Calculus I or MAC 2233 Calculus for Business
- STA 2122 Introduction to Statistics I or STA 2023 Statistics for Business and Economics
2. Upper Division Program (48 credit hours)
The upper division program requirements consist of a minimum of 48 credit hours, of which 18 hours are required economics courses, 15 credit hours are elective economics courses, and 15 hours are electives that may be taken in economics or other fields of study.
A. Required Courses for the Major (18 credit hours)
- ECO 3101 Intermediate Microeconomics
- ECO 3203 Intermediate Macroeconomics
- ECO 3410 Measurement and Analysis of Econ Activity
- ECO 4421 Introduction to Econometrics
- ECO 4932 or ECO 4933 Topics in Theory
- ECO 4903 Undergraduate Seminar
- ECO 3410 and ECO 4421 each satisfy the FIU requirement in Computer Competency.
- ECO 4903 satisfies the requirement in Oral Competency. Enrollment in the undergraduate seminar is usually restricted to students expected to graduate at the end of the semester. Consequently approval of the undergraduate adviser is required to enroll in this course.
B. Elective Courses for the Major (15 credit hours)
You must take a minimum of five additional economics courses (courses with codes beginning ECO, ECP or ECS), of which at least two must be from the following list of courses which require an intermediate theory course as a prerequisite:
ECO4100, ECO 4224, ECO4237, ECO 4400, ECO 4401, ECO 4504, ECO 4703, ECO 4713, ECO 4934
ECP 4031, ECP 4203, ECP 4204, ECP 4314, ECP4403
- The following courses cannot be used as Elective Courses for the Major: ECO 2013, ECO 2023, ECO 3041, ECO 3202, ECO 3949, ECO 4906, ECO 4949.
- The university catalog lists many courses that could be used as electives. However, the catalog is not a particularly dynamic document, and many of the courses listed have not been offered in a long time. To get a more up to date picture of electives that might be offered in the near future, click here to see what electives have been offered in recent years.
Please follow the link for the requirements and for how to apply to our Online BA in Economics program.