Combined BA/MA in Economics
We are pleased to announce that we are now accepting applications for the combined BA/MA in economics. FIU undergraduates considering applying to graduate schools should seriously consider this program. An outline of the program is given below. For further information please contact our graduate director, Tobias Pfutze.
The Bachelor of Arts/Master of Arts (BA/MA) degree in Economics program is designed for outstanding undergraduate students. It provides a strong base of knowledge and skills in economics, and at the same time accelerates completion of the Master of Arts degree. Students may take advantage of the overlap of courses in the BA and MA programs to receive their MA degrees in a shorter period than it would otherwise be possible.
The BA program in economics requires that students take 9 upper division elective courses. Students in the BA/MA program may take elective courses that would satisfy both the BA and MA requirement. Students should be economics majors and apply to the program during their junior year. To apply their GPA needs to be above 3.2. Students will also be required to maintain a high GPA (3.0) to remain in the program. The grade requirements for an MA in economics will apply to courses that are counted toward the MA degree. The BA/MA program in economics requires that students take the GRE exam.
Interested students should download the paper application form from http:/gradschool.fiu.edustudent-forms.shtml, obtain the signature of the graduate director, and deliver the application and the $30.00 application fee to the Graduate School Office. Three recommendation letters should be sent to the Graduate Director of the Department of Economics.
- Current enrollment in the Bachelor’s degree program in economics at FIU.
- Completed at least 75 but not more than 90 credits of coursework.
- Completed Calculus I (MAC 2311) (or equivalent).
- Current GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Approval of the Graduate Committee.
- Meet the requirements of both the BA and the MA degree in economics.
- Up to 4 courses (12 credits) may be used in satisfying both the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree requirements in economics.