We encourage prospective students to apply online.
The requirements for admission to the M.A. program are:
- Bachelor’s Degree: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- GPA, GRE, and TOEFL: A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 (out of 4) during the last two years of undergraduate education. Every candidate must take the GRE. International graduate student applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit a score for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A total score of 80 on the iBT TOEFL or 6.5 overall on the IELTS is required
- Prerequisites: The following courses at the undergraduate level: Statistics, and Calculus. Students who have not fulfilled these prerequisites may be admitted on a provisional basis. Unless specifically exempted, such students must take the courses as required, but graduate credit will not be given for these prerequisite courses.
- Committee Approval: The above are minimum requirements. All complete applications are evaluated by the Graduate Studies Committee of the Department of Economics at FIU, which makes the final admission decision. Since admission to the program is competitive, the committee’s requirements are normally higher than the minimum standards. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
- Separate Admission to Ph.D. Program: The M.A. Program is independent of the existing Ph.D. Program in Economics, and students in that program must apply separately for admission as Ph.D. students. Certain courses taken in the Master’s Program may subsequently be used to fulfill the requirements of the Ph.D. Program, with the approval of the Graduate Director. (These courses include the Master’s core theory courses.)
We normally expect Master's candidates to start by taking the required core Macro and Micro courses in the Fall. The university deadline for receiving applications for the Fall term is June 1. In addition, international students must submit all supporting documents by February 15.
For More Information
If you desire further information about our program, please contact Mariela Delgado at email@example.com or (305) 348-3284.